Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fleet Profile - Graham Farish, Royal Scot Class, 46159 The Royal Air Force (Pride & Propulsion)



Locomotive 41659 "The Royal Air Foce" in British Railways dark green with 'late crest' lviery of the 'Royal Scot' class of locomotive is the newest addition to my fleet and currently taking centre stage on many runs.



Disigned in the mid to late 1920's by Sir Henry Fowler, 70 of the Royal Scot class (4-6-0) locomotives were built between 1927 and 1930 and named after regiments of the British armed forces.  The Farish (Graham Farish)  model is produced in the locomotive's final incarnation before the withdrawal from revenue service finally in the mid sixties.



Two locomotives are known to survive in (tourist) operating service today, these being:

  • Locomotive 46100.  Class: Royal Scot.  Name Plate: Royal Scot
  • Locomotive 46115.  Class: Royal Scot.  Name Plate: Scots Guardsman




Thus far the loco has proven a wonderful little unit, running extremely smooth and having little in the way of problems what so ever.  The images above simply display some table top running in which it handles tight curves and point switching with aplomb (the front lead wheels never routinely go astray).  It is not the most powerful of locomotives, but given all I am asking is for it to haul a half dozen Farish-made British Pullman cars (which are extremely light weight and free-wheeling) it is proving itself capable and then some.





2 comments:

Jerry said...

A real classic! I only have one Farish locomotive, which is the Class 150 DMU in Central Lines colors. Although I had a bit of a problem with the fiddly contacts for the motor, I have to say its a real charm.

Steam engines, however, typically are my bane. Not sure what my problem is but they always seem to be my biggest problem. It sounds like this Farish lok is fairly squared away! I'll need to look into that in the future (after all, I'm a bit light on UK stock!)

Mike said...

Hey Jerry,

Sorry for never getting back to you with a reply (I didn't seem to get a notification for it).

I agree steam locomotives can be hit and miss. One rule I have is I never consider a locomotive that only has a single lead axle as this too often screams "derailment magnet".

The second rule of thumb is that if the body has excessive gyrations on the move then it too is likely to become a derailment magnet.

Locomotives with no lead axles (such as tanks in 0-6-0 formation usually prove fine).

This Farish has been the best tendered locomotive I have ever owned to date. My third N-Scale and way back when I used to have a HO collection I had a temperamental Lima British model in 2-6-0 formation that I barely bothered running as it couldn't even handle crossing points on a straight.

Hopefully, the Farish will be around for a bit with me and I might pick up a couple more in different schemes. But the first sign of trouble then it's off to eBay with them.