Monday, March 14, 2011

Procrastination Much ... ???

Sigh ... This blog has become an ode to my own procrastination. Which is really quite depressing. But for anyone out there who has come across my blog let me tell you that the last 18 months have been spent establishing ourselves into our brand new (new build) house. So suffice to say any cash we have had has gone into all sorts of projects around the house including, construction, front yard, back yard, new furniture, vegie gardens, rain water tank, security and so forth. And we still have a long way to go.

Also too at this point I am looking for a new job which isn't a thrilling experience (hopefully something will come through soon). For a long time I had wanted to work from home in my own business (still do) but, as an accountant starting from scratch getting the client build required up is not the overnight job that some people seem to think it is. For example, unlike many friends in other fields I can't readily show people examples of work I have done. Whilst this is disappointing I am refocusing my search for commercial roles within a half hour from home.

However, in the mean time I have recently regained some vitality in my interest and determination to get a layout off the ground. Also too if I return to a commercial role, my home office can be freed up to house a modest layout. So I guess there is a silver lining.

I visited an exhibition this weekend past, the first I have been to in quite a while and I was introduced to the concept of "T-Trak" modelling in N-Scale and the friendship groups that grow out of this. Now this is very appealing to me, as sadly I do have to admit I had more knowledge of railways when I was 12 then I do these days (at the ripe old age of 33). So a network group of like-minded enthusiasts would be a good thing for me to get in to. Not to mention that I haven't done any scenery work since I was 15-16 ... we might as well say I am starting from scratch. In my early teens I had constructed a simple up and over double loop with a couple of sidings and a station (when I say double loop, I refer to the same direction "not" as in a figure eight.

I would like to know what people think about T-Trak modelling. I know it has some strong limitations and some strong opposition from the traditional modelling fraternity. I don't want to make any mistakes in this decision. Whilst I am not about to give up on my (modest) tri-level design, which has been a dream for years, I have to concede it still only remains on paper. My frustrations at my own lack of development are getting to me now. For a while I was able to meet those desires by building up my locomotive and rolling stock collection, but I have more than enough for the moment. Particularly when you consider I have nothing ready to run them on aside from sections of Peco track that have to be taken out, set up, dissembled and reassembled on the dining table.

I am ready for something now a little more permanent. But do I stick with my original plans (which could be somewhat larger than is convenient) or move to the T-Trak method, which seems to lack imagination in some senses and relies on the group effort aspect of exhibiting . If my allotted space is not much more than a door or a reasonable dining table (for example), can I create an inspiring layout on the T-Trak method? Because I can really see at least how getting started on the T-Trak method in itself could be perpetually inspiring ... but simply to run trains in endless circles maybe not so much. What about elevations, yard operations or perhaps a round house?

Well clearly I have some more thinking to do ... if anyone is out there reading this I'd value your input.

Mike

No comments: