Saturday, July 26, 2008

Victorian Rail Glory Ahead

Welcome back,

I have been doing some research and have re-enacted my old account 'ozimica' on the 'Rail Page' internet forum. In my quest to turn some American Bachman Pennsylvania coaches in to mock versions of the Victorian Railways AE and BE style coaches.

I have already decided I will have to put up with blatant structural drifferences between the Penn State coaches and the desired VicRail cars. However my barstadised versions will be only for first glance impressions and will not most likely be running alongside other products that it can be comparred with. So I am quite optimistic that it will be a success.



PENNSYLVANIA COACHES



VIC RAIL COACHES (Circa 1905-1915)



As I said by the time you scale these beauties down to N-scale I am confident of a passable product. Below is an example someone else showed me. Personally I think it has come up quite poorly and hasn't been done carefully. But I take my hat off to the modeller for trying as the effect is still quite successful.  Note the car (and a bit seen here) are seen in the modern Steamrail preservation group's striking red livery and not in the traditional heritage colours which were more subdued.

CONVERSION EXAMPLE OF BACHMAN PENNSYLVANIA CAR




Well that's it for now. Thank you for reading and please look out for future posts.


Mike!


**** UPDATE**** - ACTUAL CONVERSIONS


Working with an uncle of mine who is into high end modelling we have managed to do a quick slap up job on three Bachman Pennsylvania cars, two of which are pictured for your information below.  These cars have been painted in the modern Livery of the Steamrail preservation gorup (which too my poor knowledge my be remnants of the final colours prior to retirement of the cars from revenue service in the late 80's - 90's).




While a far far cry from the real deal, I am thrilled with how the cars have come out.  I have three more left to experiment on, the only change I might make is for a glossier paint.

No comments: